Monday, April 26, 2021

Spring Music

For those of us in parts of the Midwest, we woke up from our sleep one day last week to snow on the ground as a lovely, but unnecessary, Spring surprise. However, it did get me thinking that the best revenge against Mother Nature’s little trick would be to share with you a few of my favorite Spring-themed classical pieces, and hope you’ll share with me some of yours. Please be kind in your assessment of my choices as I’m not the music director, just the marketing guy who enjoys classical music.

It’s probably no surprise that Vivaldi’s Spring is at the top of my list. I’ve always enjoyed The Four Seasons concerto, and the Anne Akiko Meyers CD is a personal favorite -I’ve added a small clip of her performing it. Is it possibly overused in films, television, commercials, etc.? Maybe, but it is so part of my consciousness that it always causes a bit of a smile when I hear it.

Next for me is Aaron Copland’s Appalachian Spring. Having grown up near, and went to college in, Appalachia, Copland’s music does evoke the beauty of the land as well as the spirit of the people. Those opening notes, the dawn of another day, so beautifully set the mood for his musical visit to a special part of our country. Here’s a performance from the Cincinnati Pops with Erich Kunzel conducting.

Felix Mendelssohn (who is our Classics for Kids featured composer in May) wrote the lovely Spring Song, perhaps one of the most performed pieces in young pianists’ recitals! I love what I perceive as his upfront honesty about this composition – “here is my spring song, that’s what I’m calling it, and it’s lighthearted and joyous so enjoy!” Here’s a piano version by the one and only Vladimir Horowitz.

My last choice is Smetana’s The Moldau. I really enjoy this symphonic poem and the images it evokes of the river flowing the way many rivers do, one minute serenely and peacefully, the next pounding against rocks, ultimately finding its way to the next river to continue its journey. Here’s a spirited performance from The National Symphony Orchestra.

I know there are many, many more beautiful works celebrating Spring and its feelings of warmth and renewal. Please help me round out my Top 5 by sharing your favorite seasonal piece. Drop be a note at wguc@wguc.org. Thanks for indulging me and I hope your Spring is full of music and hope!

Kevin Reynolds
Marketing Manager
Cincinnati Public Radio